Saturday, April 7, 2007

Artistic Parallels

Some finds from working on my art paper:

Jeff Wall, A Sudden Gust of Wind (after Hokusai):


Hokusai, from 36 Views of Mount Fuji:


Cezanne's vision (from Maurice Merleau-Ponty's Sense and Non-Sense):
In Le Peau de chagrin Balzac describes a "tablecloth white as a layer of newly fallen snow, upon which the place-settings rise symmetrically, crowned with blond rolls." "All through youth," said Cezanne, "I wanted to paint that, that tablecloth of new snow...Now I know that one must will only to paint the place-settings rising symmetrically and the blond rolls. If I paint 'crowned' I've had it, you understand? But if I really balance and shade my place-settings and rolls as they are in nature, then you can be sure that the crowns, the snow, and all the excitement will be there too."

Finally, some similarities between the Van Gogh Portrait of Pere Tanguy and the walls in my room:


Percentage of paper written: 0%
Van Gogh appreciation: 60%

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home